We’re the government’s adviser for the natural environment in England, helping to protect England’s nature and landscapes for people to enjoy and for the services they provide.
Within England, we’re responsible for:
- promoting nature conservation and protecting biodiversity
- conserving and enhancing the landscape
- securing the provision and improvement of facilities for the study, understanding and enjoyment of the natural environment, eg new tower hide at Shapwick Heath National Nature Reserve
- promoting access to the countryside and open spaces and encouraging open-air recreation
- contributing in other ways to social and economic well-being through management of the natural environment, eg changes to wildlife licensing to improve flexibility for developers.
“Natural England is a committed member of the Green Halo partnership. The aims of the Green Halo align perfectly with our Conservation Strategy and local ambition in the region. This is significant partnership opportunity and we are excited to see the projects that will emerge that protect and enhance our precious natural capital”
Fran Davies, Natural England’s Hampshire, Dorset and Isle of Wight Area Team Manager